Note: Climbing New Zealand is updating both its Constitution and Strategic Plan. The draft published 2022 Strategic Plan below has not been formally endorsed. We are working to align our Constitution, Mission and Purpose with the Strategy. The draft Strategy does however guide our current focus and efforts to develop the sport and our organisation.
Climbing New Zealand’s revised Mission:
Climbing New Zealand provides the sporting governance and infrastructure to grow and promote sport climbing in New Zealand as a vibrant, enjoyable and enriching sport. Climbing New Zealand will do this by providing the opportunities and encouragement for all New Zealanders to participate, enjoy and develop in climbing whether as a personal goal or in competition locally or on the world stage.
To support the mission CNZ will:
- Operate as the National Sporting Organisation for Sport Climbing as recognised by the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC).
- Promote the development of key aspects of the sport including but not limited to router-setter development, coaching development, athlete development programmes, officials development.
- Develop and main relationships with the key New Zealand sporting entities, including not limited to Sport New Zealand, High Performance Sport New Zealand, New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC), Para-Olympics New Zealand, Universities and Tertiary Sport New Zealand (UTSNZ).
- Develop and maintain relationships with key Climbing sector stakeholders including member and non-member climbing clubs, New Zealand Alpine Club (NZAC), Aotearoa Climbing Access Trust (ACAT), and club, school, community and commercial climbing facilities.
- Have a focus on supporting Youth in the Sport.
- Ensure that Climbing New Zealand meets a range of integrity and athlete welfare standards including but not limited to Drug Free Sport standards, child protection requirements, athlete well-being.
- Organise and run competition climbing events including a range of National Championship, National Schools and other National events.
- Select New Zealand representative teams to compete internationally.
- Support regional, club, schools and gym level events.
- Undertake any other activities which support or enhance the mission.
Also see reports and media page for annual reports
Any questions or queries, please contact a member of our committee.