COVID-19 Information on changes to climbing events for 2020

Dear Members, friends,

CNZ committee met last night and foremost on the agenda was a discussion on action planning for this year given the effect that the Covid-19 pandemic is having on community health and sporting events in particular.

Given the significant health risks involved in gathering groups of people together, particularly indoors, and the likelihood of tighter government restrictions being imposed over the coming weeks the committee voted on and agreed that:

  • The National Lead Champs (scheduled for May at Panmure) is to be postponed. Discussions will be held with the facility around possible dates for the event later in the year but the event may well be cancelled for 2020.
  • For the other National events: CNZ committee will make calls on postponement/cancellation at least 6 weeks prior to each event. We would advise everyone to hold off on booking arrangements for these events for the time being.

We will be communicating regular updates to you all as they come in.

As of 18th March, Sport NZ advice for you all – especially when you’re thinking about organising local events is: “At this stage there is no necessity to cancel any event below 500 people, however guidelines for smaller gatherings are expected to be available shortly. The health and safety of all those involved in the event – including employees, athletes, spectators and volunteers – should be of primary importance. It is recommended that all individuals and organisations in the play, active recreation and sport sector continue to follow the advice of the Ministry of Health who are able to share the latest information on a range of topics from travel to holding public events and mass gatherings.

Other effects the pandemic is having internationally include:

  • IFSC Plenary Assembly (Cyprus) – postponed until November 2020
  • Oceania Champs (Sydney) – postponed and new date tbc
  • IFSC events in Asia and Europe – postponed until further notice

It is likely that the Youth Worlds and Australia Youth Champs and New Caledonia competitions will also be postponed or cancelled. We will keep you informed as the news comes in.

Last night the committee also discussed planning for NZ team selection 2021 in the event of 2020 championship events being cancelled. We will be drawing up a number of options and keeping you up to speed on this.

Finally I’d just like to say take great care of yourselves and your family and friends – especially your old folks. I’m still in the UK where the country, like many others, is in the process of shutting down in an effort to stave off the worst. 

Thinking of you all and wishing you all the best

David Sanders


Climbing New Zealand +64273737336

Related Post