Dear members, friends,
Hello from UK where I am in 12-week isolation with mum and dad helping them get through the crisis.
With the lockdown restrictions in place in NZ and amid the rapidly evolving Covid-19 pandemic CNZ management committee recognises the importance of keeping you all promptly informed and updated on our action plans for the coming months.
A quorum of the committee met yesterday (Sunday eve) and we would like to update you on the following:
National Events 2020
Â· Lead has been postponed with no date fixed as yet.
Â· We have yesterday, made the decision to postpone Youth and Masters Bouldering until later in the year – on top of health and safety concerns, the lockdown means that athletes’ training schedules are severely affected.
Â· Open Bouldering – we will make a decision at least six-weeks before the date (end of July).
Â· World Youth Champs – IFSC has made no decision to postpone/cancel yet and has announced no cut-off date for a decision. Dion will be communicating directly with team members as news comes through. I understand that this is not reassuring and appreciate the logistical difficulties families are facing as well as the negative impact on athlete training that this uncertainty effects
Â· Oceania Champs – is postponed until Oceania Council has a date for the Tokyo Olympics (2021). So we are waiting on the IOC for this one sorry.
Â· World Cups – events scheduled for April, May and June are postponed
Â· Aus Youth Champs – is still scheduled for end of May with no official announcement yet of postponement. Again Dion will be in touch.
Â· NCAL – no news
Training at home
I know that a lot of you will be following training programs at home and I hope you’re finding fun things to do! Rob and Sarah T are planning on putting together a short video this week which we’ll put up on our FB. Just a reminder though for those of you who are under 16 to particularly avoid campus board/fingerboard exercises especially with weights. Look after your precious fingers guys!
Selection Policy Review
New committee member Mike Birchler (Dynomites), Rob and Pete are meeting this week to get this process underway. I do acknowledge that it has been a difficult and challenging policy to implement and appreciate all your feedback over the past few months.
Just a reminder that the AGM will be held by Skype Sunday April 19th. All are welcome. Shane will be arranging a link to join the meeting. We have changed the start time – it will now be 8pm NZT (gives me a chance to wake up!). Nominations for Exec and Athlete Rep are now open and will close midnight April 9th. Please send nominations and any supporting statements (eg. bios) to Shane –
Finally I hope you’re all safe and well and I’m looking forward to seeing you all later on in the year!
Climbing New Zealand